Sustainability Expert - Chicago
We believe that radical ideas are needed to help reimagine the future of our built environment. A future that is both sustainable and equitable. We must realise this at a time of unprecedented change, complexity and intensity. This brings with it great challenge, but also great opportunity!
BuroHappold is focused on shaping the urban centers of the future, integrating strategies that enhance the built environment, natural resources, and quality of life. We help our clients tackle complex and often high profile challenges at the building, campus, city and regional scales. From visioning to implementation, we provide expertise in sustainability and resiliency, infrastructure, economic development, governance, communications and operations. We take an interdisciplinary approach to each project, using evidence-based design and stakeholder engagement to bring new ideas, critical thinking and leadership.
BuroHappold is an international engineering firm with a 40 year track record. Our 1,700 employees are problem-solvers tackling development issues that are most relevant to communities, institutions, real estate, and government. With 23 offices located around the world and strong academic ties, our employees are able to combine local knowledge with both theory and international best practices.
We are looking for a fulltime candidate to join our Chicago team. The main focus will be sustainability analytics, with a particular focus on energy, and related project work at the building and campus scales. Connection to larger scale city and regional projects as well.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree, with Master’s degree preferred, in Environmental, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, Sustainability Management, Urban Planning or a related subject.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a sustainability-related field. 5 years’ experience preferred.
- Knowledge of LEED, WELL and other rating systems. LEED accreditation preferred.
- Lead analysis, while providing support in planning and management, of sustainability consulting projects for private and public sector clients and assist with business development materials.
Candidate Interests and Skills:
- Interest or experience in urban issues, the built environment, and sustainability
- Energetic, pro-active and collaborative in team environments
- Analytical and strategic thinker
- Ability to quickly identify issues, assimilate information and develop solutions
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Comfort interfacing with clients and senior management
- Demonstrated communications skills: written, oral, presentation and visual design
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills and skill working with data sets
Software and Technologies:
- Advanced energy modeling in IES, Rhino, Transys, Grasshopper, or similar
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with Adobe CS, specifically Illustrator and InDesign
To work under the direction of an Associate Principal or Principal to deliver solutions in any or all of the following areas:
- Interpret complex data sets to develop sustainability frameworks and design strategies for multiple scales of projects, while completing environmental and social impact assessments
- Research, modeling and analysis of energy, water, waste, GHG and related metrics
- Focus on energy systems analysis on mechanical systems (HVAC, Lighting, process loads, etc.)
- Advising clients on green building technology and ratings systems (LEED, WELL, Fitwel, Passive House, Living Building Challenge)
- Diagraming, mapping and digital illustrations of technical concepts to visualize intent for non-technical audiences
- Participate and present in client meetings
- Coordinate with multiple disciplines in complex building, strategic planning and operations projects
- Create client PowerPoint presentations, memos, reports and graphic presentations
- Understanding trends and best practices in energy and mechanical systems for buildings
- Participating in local Professional Associations
What is life really like?
“BuroHappold offers me a great experience where I have to step out of my comfort zone, and encourages me to learn so many new things, even non-engineering skills! I’ve met such friendly and helpful people since joining. Working here has provided me with a unique opportunity to work closely with some of the world’s leading engineers on new and exciting projects. Not only has it inspired me but also given me confidence in what I could achieve and contribute as an engineer as my career develops”.
BuroHappold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. BuroHappold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.