International Biodiversity Consultant
Work on projects across the globe to establish a sustainable future
Buro Happold staff get the opportunity to work on some truly innovative projects around the globe. Our ecology and biodiversity management team forms an integral part of the business and helps to shape entire projects by being involved at the outset and putting strategies in place to protect the environment, determine biodiversity priorities and weave best practice and net gain into their fabric.
The team focuses on strategic and technical projects including in areas such as marine spatial planning and environmental zoning, regional biodiversity management and offset plans, and governance frameworks. Our work encompasses nature-based solutions to climate resilience in both terrestrial and marine environments. This is a key growth area for the team in the coming years and will allow new joiners to become involved in projects across the world that address both the biodiversity and climate crises head on.
Buro Happold facilitates and encourages independent thinking, allowing staff to work autonomously, and supporting them to carve out their own professional niche, if they desire. Exposure to be a part of and develop business strategies allows colleagues to be in control of their own career, and have a sense of ownership and involvement with wider business decisions. This, paired with a focus on strategic level overseas projects and partnerships with conservation scientists and international experts, results in a highly varied and interesting work load.
You will join a small, committed team, providing input into strategic/regional plans, development options analyses, masterplans and Environmental Impact Assessments. We often work directly with clients to enable them to proactively manage biodiversity at every stage of the planning process, including preparing conservation management plans in collaboration with species experts to enable effective management on the ground.
This Role Will Encompass:
- Providing advice and expertise on a variety of exciting projects including multi-disciplinary design reports, strategic assessments, and biodiversity management documentation to support and promote the avoidance of biodiversity loss.
- Advising and guiding Clients on international best practice including the enhancement and restoration of biodiversity, and the benefits that Nature-based Solutions can contribute to projects.
- As a valued team member, you will integrate biodiversity considerations into project designs, and into Buro Happold’s standard approach, by working closely across the design and client teams.
- Working closely with our trusted partners and international species experts, by defining and agreeing ecological survey requirements, coordinating surveys and expert inputs, and liaising directly with clients to ensure that important findings are taken into consideration on projects.
- Preparing and contributing to technical reports, documents, and presentations, both as part of multi-disciplinary projects, and specialist biodiversity deliverables.
- Increasing levels of responsibility and autonomy to lead and manage projects with associated resource planning and budget management, in addition to contributing to work winning through developing proposals and client relationships.
We Are Looking For:
- An senior ecologist or similarly experienced environmental consultant with ecology-related experience
- Experience of providing ecological input into Environmental Impact Assessments/ strategic plans / masterplans
- Full membership of CIEEM
We are passionate about what we do, working across a diverse range of projects internationally to ensure that international environmental best practice, and biodiversity conservation and management are key drivers in their successful implementation.
If you meet 80% or more of what we’re looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn’t know we needed.
We will consider either our Bath or London office as work locations.
Send your application to Buro Happold and take the first step on a journey to fulfilling your potential.
Join us to find out what you’re really capable of.
Described by our clients as 'passionate', 'innovative', 'collaborative': Buro Happold is an independent, international engineering practice that for over 40 years has become synonymous with the delivery of creative, value led building and city solutions for an ever changing world. Having worked on every continent, our clients include more than 90% of the world's leading architectural practices and we have collaborated with global organisations such as the United Nations, The World Bank and UNESCO. Through our global community of driven, world leading engineering and consulting professionals we deliver elegant solutions for buildings and cities that seek to address the major problems facing societies today. Follow us @burohappold and find out more at www.burohappold.com.
We have been working in a hybrid fashion for some time now, and for many, this has meant coming back to the office a few days a week and enjoying the benefits of both home and office work.
Buro Hybrid guides our behaviour in relation to our values to create a culture where we trust and respect one another, show people they are valued and come together.
Is it structured around our Anchor Day in the office, designed to bring people together to create buzz, community and professional energy.
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions through collaboration.