Senior Energy Engineer
Buro Happold's Energy Consulting team are looking for a Senior Energy Engineer to join our vibrant and friendly team in the UK.
You will work at the forefront of innovation in the energy sector, helping clients at a district, campus, and masterplan level to enhance the sustainability and resilience of their energy infrastructure.
Your crucial focus will be on delivering value for our clients, using distributed energy to resolve energy security, costs and sustainability challenges across the range of sectors and markets in which Buro Happold operates, ultimately helping us to drive this agenda and deliver energy solutions for the 21st century.
Buro Happold value flexible working as an important part of the way we work. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.
Energy Consulting @ Buro Happold
Our UK Energy team sits within Buro Happold Cities and contains nearly 40 engineers, scientists, geographers and commercialisation consultants. The team work throughout the project lifecycle from national scale spatial energy system analytics through to detail design of some of the most innovative district energy and smart grid installations. The team is split geographically across London, Leeds, Manchester and Edinburgh.
Our very strong portfolio of work includes:
- Communiheat - working with communities towards net zero carbon emissions https://communiheat.org/
- Local Area Energy Planning (LAEP) pilot studies reporting to BEIS
- District heating/ energy zoning
- Various low carbon frameworks; Scottish Government, Energy Systems Catapult, BEIS, GLA.
- Innovative district heating schemes including waste heat from the sewage treatment process, minewater and deep geothermal.
- International masterplan schemes in Middle East, Europe and beyond
- County and region-wide renewable studies
- Leading Programme Delivery Unit support to the GLA’s Local Energy Accelerator programme.
- Much more!
To learn more about what life is like as an Energy Engineer in Buro Happold, listen to Lara Balazs on how Buro Happold enabled her.
More about the role...
The role will primarily involve analysis and reporting, planning projects/resourcing, and managing client relationships across our portfolio of energy clients.
Specific responsibilities can be expected to comprise the following...
- Managing energy team-led projects to meet budget and programme requirements using agile working
- Managing energy team inputs to inter-disciplinary projects including monitoring resourcing against project plan.
- Review and approve calculations from other team members
- Supporting the Energy leadership in client and design team relationships
- Management of graduate level staff on projects.
- Identifying opportunities for new work and contributing to business development through input to fee proposals and bids.
- Produce accurate, professional written reports, clearly communicating our work to clients and stakeholders
- Delivering verbal presentations to clients / stakeholders
- Ensuring that all stakeholders are kept informed of design progress and any risks are consulted with project leader/project director.
More about you...
As an experienced Energy Engineer, we would expect you to demonstrate the following...
- Knowledge of UK energy policy and regulatory drivers of energy and carbon efficiency across a range of project scales.
- Technical knowledge and familiarity with the sizing, design, operation and implementation of low and zero carbon technologies and key components in district energy systems.
- Experience in undertaking system investigations and modelling to support and enhance engineering designs.
- Experience and understanding of building integrated and utility scale energy systems, building energy performance and efficiency standards.
- Experience of economic modelling of energy systems for feasibility studies / options appraisals.
- Ability to work across inter-disciplinary projects, liaising with various stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate detailed design and technical subjects to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Degree educated, preferably in a related discipline e.g. mechanical, electrical or chemical engineering, energy, physics or environmental, and professionally registered e.g. CEng or equivalent or well advanced in working towards professional registration.
What's in it for you?
The opportunity to experience our culture and values and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large-scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within Buro Happold and our collaborators.
A plethora of interesting and exciting projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close-knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. Buro Happold have recently adopted a new flexible working model which will allow you to get the balance right with your working and home life – getting the help you need from colleagues and other disciplines whether you are at home or in the office. We will provide you with all the equipment you need to make this a success for you.
You will enter a company which no matter what your race, gender, disability or background you will respected and listened to so you can be confident you can reach your full potential and career aspirations. We have active staff networks (including but not limited to SPECTRUM, FAIR, Young Engineers Forum) which provide platforms to share ideas and concerns and speak freely. Ultimately, we want our staff to feel empowered, with a culture of respect ensuring people always feel valued.
In addition, we see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.
Join us to find out what you’re really capable of.
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions through collaboration.