Senior / Associate Fire Engineer - NY
WE are looking for a Senior / Associate Fire Engineer in our New York office.
Fire engineering at BuroHappold is a buoyant and successful specialism and our global team combines international experience and local knowledge to enable our engineers to respond quickly to project demands.
Our busy team work on an exciting range of projects and develop cutting-edge solutions for a variety of engineering challenges. Joining this busy and close-knit team as a Senior or Associate Engineer, you will have the opportunity to work on some of the most exciting projects worldwide.
What will I be doing?
Naturally the role of a Fire Engineer can be very varied but this role will ask you to:
- Work with clients and other Engineers to project manage a variety fire engineering projects. You will be informing and supporting the building design aspirations, functionality and architectural form throughout the design process
- Set a strong example of client care and general consultancy on both small- and large-scale projects and support your team of Engineers and Graduates to do the same.
- Maintain responsibility for the financial performance of your projects, ensuring timely delivery of high quality design.
- Represent BuroHappold Fire Engineering at design team meetings, both internal and externally as well as liaising with approval authorities on fire safety designs and proposals
- Identify and specify appropriate fixed fire protection systems, i.e. automatic fire detection and/or suppression to support fire engineering design solutions.
- Carry out and review fire engineering calculations including smoke modelling and evacuation analysis from simple hand calculations to complex 3D computational modelling (previous CFD experience is welcome but not essential).
- Identify design related issues and propose solutions as appropriate. Be aware when assistance is necessary and seek support from experienced members of the team when appropriate.
- Manage relationships with internal and external clients, Engineers and other stakeholders. Utilising opportunities to further work and win new commissions.
- Share knowledge both within the fire engineering team and on a wider basis.
More about you...
We imagine you will be an established Associate Engineer, or perhaps an experienced Senior or Principal Engineer ready to take the next step.
As an experienced Fire Engineering professional, we would expect that you will be able to demonstrate:
- Expertise in delivering fire safety engineering solutions in a multi-disciplinary environment with solid experience in developing fire strategies, undertaking engineering analysis and applying performance based designs
- Excellent consultancy skills; good communication abilities and the experience to traverse complex situations, negotiation and understanding the differing needs of our clients and within stakeholder groups.
- Confident, proactive character, with a track record or the ability to taking the lead in challenging situations.
- The ability of identify, develop and grow profitable commercial relationships with a variety of clients
- Capability of working autonomously alone or as part of a larger team on multiple projects with other professional engineers
- Previous Middle East experience and awareness of relevant design standards would be advantageous, though not essential.
- An aptitude for problem solving
- Willingness to travel
We can offer a stimulating and challenging environment, excellent scope for progression and the opportunity to work on a wide range of outstanding projects in the Middle East and elsewhere. With a plethora of high-profile clients, we can offer an interesting range of work and an excellent personal challenge as we support you to develop your career to new heights.
BuroHappold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. BuroHappold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.