Senior/ Principal Economics Consultant - Riyadh
BuroHappold Cities brings together the expertise of world class engineers, economists and consultants to examine cities from a variety of angles, giving our clients a unique picture of the challenges to tackle and the assets and opportunities their city can capitalise on. Working on a diverse range of fascinating projects that cover urban development, infrastructure planning and design, resource management, and programme delivery, our Cities business unit is at the forefront of innovation in the urban environment.
The BuroHappold Consulting team has developed strongly over the last few years, with a growing international portfolio of economic development and urban regeneration projects. Continued growth of the business has given rise to an opportunity to appoint a Senior / Principal Consultant. In this position, you will have the opportunity to take the lead on a number of engaging projects within the group covering a wide range of issues - from regeneration, industrial and sector strategy; enterprise and SME development; capability development; urban and infrastructure development – and at all levels from regional planning through to development of key sites within cities.
We are looking for a Senior / Principal Consultant with a background in economic development, who whilst working as part of our team, will shape creative solutions to address the challenges facing cities around the world.
- Ability to provide consultancy advice including in relation to economic development strategy and vision, integrated urban development, and feasibility assessment.
- Research and analytical experience of undertaking business case analysis and economic appraisals of policy and projects.
- Experience of working in the Middle East and internationally supporting public and private sector clients.
- A collaborative team player as part of high performing multi-discipline project teams.
- Effective stakeholder management and engagement skills
- Project management and delivery skills with a track record of exceptional technical delivery
- Capability and ambition to innovate and work at the leading edge of our industry evidenced through involvement in incubation and application of new solutions, thought leadership and applied research and development activities.
- Strategic advisory for urban development and regeneration and/or infrastructure plans programmes and projects
- Economic development strategy for cities and regions to support competitiveness, productivity and diversification objectives.
Economic assessment and appraisal
- Quantitative economic analysis and demographic modelling to:
- identify economic and social needs and demands for development and infrastructure
- undertake demand assessments and competitiveness analysis
- Economic appraisal and economic impact assessment, along with familiarity of design, development and use of financial or business case modelling techniques for urban, infrastructure, environmental and digital interventions
- Sector market studies, trade analysis, sector value chain analysis
- Project feasibility and value for money through impact assessment studies and cost-benefit analysis
- Urban resilience impacts through socio-economic assessments
- Policy appraisal
Urban informatics and data science
- Data mining and urban and social informatics including the handling and manipulation of large datasets
- Demonstrate an understanding of urban/city challenges and the value of providing a spatial understanding and integrated offer (including planning, economics, infrastructure and digital).
- Spatial economics and statistical analysis of urban patterns and processes
- Development of urban models
- Data handling and analysis – MS Access, medium to high. Excel advanced
- Statistical packages - SPSS, Stata
- Spatial data analysis – Arcview, QGIS, R
- Business intelligence software – MS Power BI, Tableau
- Foreign language skills desirable but not essential
- Interest in working internationally and a willingness to travel.
- Essential minimum 2:1 honours degree in economics, statistics, finance or social sciences (where economics comprises a significant component) from an internationally recognised university
- Preferable postgraduate degree in a subject area related to economics, urban development or data science
Responsibilities & Accountability
- Actively support consulting technical solutions; ensuring the delivery of client outputs that adapts to their understanding, experience and needs.
- Undertakes project delivery work through field trips, phone and face to face interviews, desk research and team discussions.
- Works with a broad range of in-house disciplines – engineers, planners, GIS experts and architects
- Monitors and manages the successful delivery of projects in this context and in terms of technical quality, timely delivery, financial performance and client satisfaction.
Candidate will report direct to the KSA head of consulting.
BuroHappold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. BuroHappold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.