Operations Director - Europe
BuroHappold Engineering is an international, integrated engineering consultancy operating in 23 locations worldwide, with over 50 partners and 1,500 staff including some of the world's leading consulting engineers. For 40 years we have been building our reputation for delivering creative, value led building and city solutions for an ever changing world.
This is a newly created regional role to add immediate impact on our Europe region that evolves toward the collaborative, client-centric, innovative and commercially focused culture. A career defining opportunity to work closely with the regional and global leadership teams and other key stakeholders within BuroHappold to drive our competitive advantage by understanding and influencing global trends for our industry, sector, clients, technology markets and competitors.
To manage and to take control of the commercial aspects across the Business in the Europe region as well as provide operational support to the Managing Director Europe in regards to projects and business units:
- Build and support regional and local BuroHappold standards to ensure best practice in business functions
- Manage Europe Region Projects commercially and support the regional team to deliver excellent operational services and to
- Foster an environment of excellence, authenticity and fun, living the BuroHappold culture based on its vision, values and goals
Experience we are looking for:
- A commercially astute operations manager with proven skills in complex, international, matrix business operations
- Proven experience operating at a senior level and with hands-on operational experience within the built environment, engineering or construction sector
- Outstanding interpersonal, networking and stakeholder management skills with ability to enable change and drive business improvement
- Demonstrated ability to concurrently and effectively manage multiple projects and business challenges
- An influencer able to hold team members accountable for delivering high quality work by providing a ‘big picture’ view of their work to local team members aligned with regional and firm-wide objectives
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- Masters degree, MBA, Wirtschaftsingenieur or engineering studies with commercial/economic focus
- 8-10 years’ experience in a commercial role
- Experience of working in the engineering sector or professional services
- Excellent communication and presentation skills – proficient in German and English language, other language skills desirable but not essential
- Knowledge of a business structure and its operative processes
- Experience in contract management and negotiations (HOAI preferred)
- Ability to influence and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders at various levels
- Detail oriented focused on delivery and process implementation
- Experience or education in an international environment
- Ability to travel occasionally within Europe and UK
- Oversight of contract negotiation, management and completion to achieve the result outcome for the company and intervening in the final stage of dispute resolution where necessary
- Oversee critical project commercial performance and implementation
- Manage go/no process and proposals for new market entry
- Provide commercial overview and accountability for the Europe portfolio of projects
- Provide commercial leadership to Europe Leaders through regular team and 1:1 meetings
- Manage organizational risk within BH governance rules
- Overseeing the Region’s operational activities, including the implementation of practice wide projects and initiatives
- Review key projects and portfolios with Project Principals and Project Directors; review job portfolios with Discipline Leaders (in conjunction with the Project Operations team)
- Provide input and support to project principals and project directors during project acquisition and throughout project delivery on availability and utilization of key technical and specialist resources from across the business, ensuring the most effective utilization of resources on both projects and bids and allowing Project Principals to best meet the expectations of Clients
- Monitoring project performance and carrying out regular reviews to develop team members, to enable them to achieve their full potential
- Utilize and encourage the best use of project performance tools and information to ensure that progress is maintained in line with planned milestones and outcomes
- Oversee operational aspects of financial reporting through working closely with Europe Financial Manager
- Deputize for the Managing Director on operational issues at the corporate governance board when appropriate
- Proactive identification of issues that could impact the successful execution of the MD’s commitments: This responsibility involves elevating those issues about which the MD should be aware and framing/positioning ideas to resolve the problem/mitigate the risk. Including identifying and reporting on significant project performance issues in Europe.
Please contact Julia Wanckel (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a confidential conversation and further information.
BuroHappold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. BuroHappold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.