Lighting Designer - LA
We are looking for a Lighting designer who will work alongside our senior lighting designers, assisting in the delivery of creative and technical artificial and daylighting design solutions to our challenging projects. They will work on inspiring and challenging projects in collaboration with many of the world’s leading architects, contractors and organizations.
The individual should also have a basic knowledge/interest in Daylighting, the relevant daylighting design codes and key daylighting design principles.
What can I bring?
- Professional Degree or Master’s Degree in Lighting, Day lighting or a related field such as architecture, design or engineering.
- Professional experience in the lighting design industry or equivalent is not necessary as in-house training and mentoring will be provided.
- Basic understanding and design interest in various building design sectors, including artificial lighting and daylight design and analysis.
- Must be creative and have a basic technical knowledge of lighting, daylighting and luminaires.
- Should also have excellent conceptual and communication skills, ideally being able to communicate ideas (in both sketch and CAD form). Have general design, calculation, specification, controls, code and commissioning knowledge.
- Software skills to preferably include: Dialux, Relux, 3D Studio Max, AGI, Photoshop, Sketch-up, IES, Radiance and AutoCAD - Familiarisation with design tools is helpful but not essential.
What will I be doing?
- Support the Senior Designers as required Assist in the production of design materials, such as concept design documents, design notes, report writing, AutoCAD drawings + details and technical luminaire specifications.
- Provide a suitable level of technical lighting, daylighting design and creative lighting design to projects.
- Work competently on an independent and team basis.
- Prepare concept and preliminary engineering solutions for detail design.
- Assist in the production of design materials, such as concept design documents, design notes, report writing, AutoCAD drawings + details and technical luminaire specifications.
- Provide professional lighting layouts, sections and details using AutoCAD or similar to allow a clear understanding of the concept principles.
- Ensure senior staff are kept informed of important and relevant service/design decisions and the objectives of the client are achieved.
- Continually ensuring that practices, policies, strategy and services represent the client’s best interests and that BH policy is in keeping with current legislation, British Standards and Codes of Practice etc.
- Develop and enhance the Happold Lighting brand offering.
BuroHappold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. BuroHappold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.