Sustainable Buildings Consultant
Are you passionate about sustainability in the built environment?
We are looking for a full-time candidate to join our hybrid LA office as part of our US Sustainability & Analytics team. The main focus will be sustainability consulting at the building scale and master planning scale. The ability to lead visioning exercises and apply a broad systems thinking approach are important to the role, along with project management skills to manage external clients and internal technical analyses. This role will tackle complex project challenges, provide expertise in sustainability, and take an interdisciplinary approach to each project, presenting evidence-based design analysis and using stakeholder engagement to bring new ideas, critical thinking, and leadership to our projects.
We are looking for a resourceful Sustainability Consultant with knowledge and experience in areas such as net zero energy, low embodied carbon, circular design, biophilic design, regenerative systems, and social impact frameworks. Ideally, the candidates should possess a strong understanding of sustainability assessment and management systems or an established skill in a related specialist area. They should understand both construction and design aspects of sustainability and be able to make connection from building scale sustainability to corporate sustainability, master planning or portfolio level impacts. The work delivered by the team relies on holistic and integrated thinking combined with strong and grounded sustainability knowledge underpinned by data, experience, and informed analysis.
- Provide project management and strategic sustainability leadership on multiple building and master planning scale projects, representing Buro Happold externally and leading the work internally
- Coordinate with multiple disciplines in complex building and master planning projects
- Advising clients on green building technology and ratings systems (LEED, WELL, Fitwel, Passive House, Living Building Challenge) and delivering successful certification according to client goals.
- Interpreting complex data sets to develop sustainability frameworks and design strategies for multiple scales of projects, while completing environmental and social impact assessments
- Diagraming, mapping and digital illustrations of technical concepts to visualize intent for non-technical audiences
- Research, modeling and analysis of energy, water, waste, carbon, health and related metrics
- Create client PowerPoint presentations, memos, reports and graphic presentations
- Participate, develop and present in-person, hybrid and virtual client meetings and multi-discipline design workshops
- Assisting with business development materials
- Staying up to date on trends and best practices in sustainable design. This includes social and equity impacts, as well as environmental concerns within the build environment
- Participating in local Professional Associations and contributing to local thought leadership
Candidate Interests and Skills:
As an experienced Sustainability Consultant, it is expected that you can demonstrate the following:
- Sustainability assessment system qualifications (e.g., LEED, ILFI, CALGREEN, WELL) and evidence of experience managing a project’s pursuit of a certification from start to finish, including familiarity with documentation portals such as LEED online.
- Experience working as part of multidisciplinary teams (including, but not limited to attending meetings with architects, planners, engineers, government agencies and clients)
- Experience of undertaking environmental/energy/water/waste system analysis and the development of suitable strategies for deployment
- Working knowledge of sustainable design techniques, frameworks, standards, analysis or modelling relevant to the built environment
- Energetic, proactive, and collaborative in team environments
- Analytical and strategic thinker
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills and skilled in working with data sets
- Ability to quickly identify issues, assimilate information and develop solutions
- Good organizational and project management skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Comfort interfacing with clients and senior management
- Demonstrated communications skills: storytelling capabilities related to written, oral, presentation and visual design
- Background in engineering, architecture, urban planning or environmental sciences
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Environmental, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, Sustainability Management, Urban Planning or a related subject
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a sustainability-related field, 5 years’ experience preferred
- Knowledge of LEED, WELL, ILFI and other rating systems. LEED AP or similar third party credentialed accreditation is required
Software and Technologies:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Bluebeam
- Familiarity with Adobe CS, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Experience in embodied carbon software such as Tally, EC3, One Click LCA a plus
- Experience in energy modelling software such as IES, EnergyPlus ETC. a plus
What we offer:
- Salary range of $75,000 to $110,000. This will be determined based on factors such as geographic location, skills, education, and/or experience
- Generous benefits package
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Generous PTO (4 weeks) in addition to 10 paid holidays
- 401k with company match
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Hybrid working & summer hours
- Reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees
- Global network of experts
- Learning and development opportunities
- Be a part of our Young Employees Forum and our Diversity and Inclusion Forum
Described by our clients as 'passionate', 'innovative', 'collaborative': Buro Happold is an independent, international engineering practice that for over 40 years has become synonymous with the delivery of creative, value led building and city solutions for an ever changing world. Having worked on every continent, our clients include more than 90% of the world's leading architectural practices and we have collaborated with global organisations such as the United Nations, The World Bank and UNESCO. Through our global community of driven, world leading engineering and consulting professionals we deliver elegant solutions for buildings and cities that seek to address the major problems facing societies today. Follow us @burohappold and find out more at www.burohappold.com.
Buro Happold value flexible working as an important part of the way we work. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.