Cities Consulting Intern, New York - Summer 2024
Excellent opportunity for an Intern to join our New York Cities team in 2024!
Buro Happold is seeking a dedicated, graduate-level 2024 Cities Intern to join our inclusive and talented Cities team for the summer. This full-time intern role, and offers an excellent pay rate and the chance to be part of a positive and diverse workplace culture.
Buro Happold Cities brings together the expertise of world class planners, engineers, architects, and economists to examine the built environment from a variety of angles. Our multidisciplinary consulting team is able to address urban issues from a unique perspective, which enables us to provide our clients with comprehensive solutions to capitalize on opportunities and tackle the complex challenges facing cities and communities today. In working with our public and private sector clients, it is essential that proposals and recommendations be framed in a visually compelling way that is accessible and succinct.
The Cities team is at the forefront of urban innovation, offering strategic consulting, master planning, project management, and analytical services to city governments, non-profit organizations, private developers, colleges and universities, and more. Our most recent projects include helping New York State reimagine the future of its canal network, supporting the Los Angeles County Chief Sustainability Office in the creation of a comprehensive regional sustainability plan, working with the Richmond Bridge Park Foundation to make the economic case for a transformative linear park across the James River, and, most recently, working with the non-profit HEET to assess the feasibility of replacing natural gas infrastructure in the Greater Boston area with district-scale renewable heating systems.
This 2024 Cities Intern role offers you the chance to:
- Perform research and organize results in a clear and coherent manner
- Compile, organize, and analyze data from a variety of sources
- Perform geospatial analysis and visualization for a range of geographies
- Generate initial findings and recommendations for strategy development
- Provide visual and written support for client meetings and presentations
- Provide graphic design and editing for reports, memos, and presentations
- Assist with business development functions
- Participate in workshop sessions and project management meetings with internal team and subconsultants
To apply for this Cities Intern role, you will need to be enrolled in a Master’s degree program or equivalent in environmental or civil engineering, urban planning, urban policy, real estate development, or similar. You will also require knowledge of sustainable infrastructure, climate change, mobility planning, or economic development policy. In addition, you should have the following skills and expertise:
- The ability to research and synthesize information on a range of topics for multiple audience types
- Experience using GIS software to analyze and visualize geospatial data (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- The ability to perform quantitative analysis using tabular and structured data (Microsoft Excel, R, Python, SQL)
- Familiarity with PowerPoint and Adobe Creative Cloud products (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Experience with 2D and 3D design software, including AutoCAD and Rhino (beneficial)
If you’re looking to impact and create change positively, you will be rewarded with an attractive pay rate for your inclusive and committed approach.
What we offer:
- Hourly rate of $20 to $32 per hour depending on level of education and geographic location
- Hybrid working & summer hours
- Global network of experts
- Learning and development opportunities
Be a part of our Young Employees Forum and our Diversity and Inclusion Forum
Interested? Intrigued? Inspired?
Please apply online to be considered for this role. We are looking forward to your application!
When submitting your application, please also submit work samples or a portfolio.
A place for everyone
Buro Happold values individual's flexible approaches to working patterns as an important part of the way you work and achieve balance. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.
Our exceptional portfolio of projects is the result of the diversity of thought, identities, backgrounds and experiences that shape us. Appreciating each other’s differences is key, we want employees to feel they don’t have to mask elements of their identity to thrive.
We are working to change the lack of representation of marginalised groups in the built environment and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
Please let us know if there are any adjustments we could make to the application process to make it easier and more comfortable for you. Contact email@example.com so we can work with you to support you throughout your application.