Blast & Structural Resilience Associate / Associate Director - London
Come and lead our Blast & Structural Resilience team delivering outstanding performance-based design experience at the cutting edge of the industry.
BuroHappold’s expert engineers have developed a cutting edge approach and toolset to measure the resilience of our cities and buildings in order to better understand and mitigate risk. Our team specialises in the area of structural resilience, with expertise in blast engineering, seismic engineering, dynamics, risk and disproportionate collapse.
We are looking for an articulate and collaborative technical expert who can lead, manage and deliver specialist blast engineering and structural resilience solutions
What's the role?
Naturally this will be a wide-ranging position with a multitude of interesting challenges but typically you will be:
- Taking responsibility for all team activity, monitoring and managing performance as our growing team delivers innovative design
- Developing proposals and presentations and taking responsibility for work winning both internal and external to BuroHappold
- Undertaking and managing detailed first-principles, performance-based blast engineering design and analysis.
- Working competently on an independent basis, as well as collaborating within the design team and supporting less experienced engineers
- Communicating directly with external stakeholders and design team members.
- Performing both non-linear dynamic calculations for members and structures subject to blast, earthquake and progressive collapse
- Taking responsibility for delivering engineering solutions, technical specifications and concise reports detailing salient findings and recommendations
- Managing graduates and engineers and developing the team's technical prowess as structural resilience consultants
What do I bring?
- A solid background of Structural dynamics experience and ideally a degree or equivalent qualification containing significant dynamics based training
- Ability to accept a high degree of responsibility in a team-based organization, combined with ability to work independently.
- Chartered Membership of a professional institution;
- Solid foundation of experience in blast resistant design
- Strong interpersonal, communication (both written and oral) and organizational skills.
- Expertise in MatLab or similar and interest in technical tool development
- Finite element modeling
- Non-linear structural analysis / performance based design
- Practical structural engineering experience
- Understanding of risk-based approaches
Qualifications and memberships:
- Bachelors degree (BEng) / BSc or Masters degree (MEng) / MSc in Civil/Structural Engineering 2:1 or above
- MSc in Structural Dynamics a plus
- Member of Register of Security Engineers & Specialists
Why join BuroHappold?
With an enviable reputation for innovative design solutions, BuroHappold is an exciting place to work. Offering outstanding opportunity for progression, our thriving teams collaborate closely with clients both in the UK and further afield.
For a confidential and informal conversation about this role please contact Thomas White in the BuroHappold recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org
BuroHappold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. BuroHappold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.