Associate Environmental Consultant
Buro Happold’s UK based Environmental Assessment and Management (EA&M) discipline are looking for an associate to join and work on our growing international portfolio of projects. The role is for Senior or Associate grade candidate, and whilst permanent, is to initially work on an environment assessment and advisory contract with a high profile client in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).
From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our creativity and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities alike. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
This Role Will Encompass:
Initially, we are looking for an experienced senior or associate level environment assessment project manager to join the team to lead and coordinate the advisory services on this specific contract, with the experience to support on a variety of wider international workstreams, including:
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)
- Environmental Masterplanning and Design Services
- Environmental Strategy & Guidelines Development
- Environmental & Social Impact Assessment (ESIA)
- Advisory environmental services (ESIA peer review, consenting and regulatory advice etc).
The team offer a number of general environmental and project management services. We have a reputation for working collaboratively with Buro Happold’s wider environmental and engineering teams and in doing so often provide a single point of contact to clients and wider professional teams in either a project leader or project director role on the projects we work on.
We are looking for a senior or associate level consultant to join the Group, to be based in Bath or London. The role will be focussed on project delivery, however there will likely be opportunities for line management within the team as we continue to grow. With the focus on international projects there may be opportunities for project travel and potentially secondments, upon agreement.
Our EA&M discipline are currently working on some of the largest “GIGA” projects to be coming forward in the Middle East, including Amaala, Al Ula, Qiddiya and NEOM. Beyond our existing workload in the Middle East, the strategy for the team includes a desire to grow our Environment, SEA and ESIA services into other international markets and we expect the incoming candidate to support the business development and growth of the team and project pipeline.
We Are Looking For:
As a senior or associate level SEA/ESIA consultant, we would expect that you can demonstrate:
- Significant experience in a client facing role, providing advice direct to clients
- Demonstrate having a strong existing network of clients and subconsultants as well as having a good understanding of GCC regulatory authorities
- Development and reviews of proposals for issue to wider environmental consultants
- Carry out internal reviews and provide commentary on environmental assessments, technical reports, studies, modelling submissions
- A track record of leading SEA/ESIA projects internationally in a project management capacity, excellent understanding of ESIA process and Equator Principles/IFC requirements
- Experience across multiple environmental disciplines
- A track record of leading, identifying and progressing SEA/ESIA business development opportunities – including networking, bid writing and key client management
- Advise the assessment team on environmental sensitivities that could inform conceptual designs
- The ability to provide expert advice on environmental issues relating to SEA/ESIA strategy advice
- Significant experience of leading multi-disciplinary teams successfully
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Working with regulators and liaising with clients
- The ability to take the lead in challenging situations in a confident and proactive manner
- Excellent knowledge of project and business financial and management systems
- Environmental and social due diligence on behalf of project lenders or developers
- Membership of an appropriate professional body (e.g., IEMA)
- Demonstrates a track record of delivering successful and profitable major projects and tenders
- Demonstrated experience of working with EBRD, IFC or other lender standards
- Good team player, able to inspire and motivate others, with the ability to work autonomously
- Commitment to meeting client requirements and producing high quality reports - attention to detail a priority
Apply now and be where exceptional is everywhere.
A place for everyone
Buro Happold values individual's flexible approaches to working patterns as an important part of the way you work and achieve balance. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.
Our exceptional portfolio of projects is the result of the diversity of thought, identities, backgrounds and experiences that shape us. Appreciating each other’s differences is key, we want employees to feel they don’t have to mask elements of their identity to thrive.
We are working to change the lack of representation of marginalised groups in the built environment and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
Please let us know if there are any adjustments we could make to the application process to make it easier and more comfortable for you. Contact email@example.com so we can work with you to support you throughout your application.