Acoustics Associate Principal
Our growing US Acoustic Engineering team are currently delivering a plethora of iconic projects in the US and further afield. Recent and current commissions encompass iconic museums, premier league stadia, historic landmarks, mixed use, high-rise, and more.
About our team
We are looking for an Associate Principal level candidate to bolster the design leadership in the US. You'll be part of a growing US team collaborating closely with globally situated Vanguardia and Buro Happold acoustic teams in the UK. This large, experienced and technically accomplished team can provide whatever assistance is required in terms of precedents, resources or technical support. You will also enjoy access to the wider ecosystem of specialisms across Buro Happold, ranging from Planning, Computational design, Sustainability, Audio-Visual Design, Inclusive Design, Structural Engineering, MEP, Asset Consultancy, and more.
This is a diverse role with excellent progression opportunities in a globally expanding Acoustic and Audio-Visual disciplines. We are looking for a candidate equally comfortable in hands-on technical delivery as they are in commercial management, leadership and business development.
Why join BuroHappold?
Buro Happold are innovators in Acoustic Engineering, having delivered some of the most architecturally unique buildings some of which include MSG Sphere, LAX, Tottenham Hotspurs Stadium, Museum of the Future, BBC Concert Studios etc. Our experience with hundreds of projects worldwide, in a variety of climates, has also given us a deep understanding of practical construction issues.
You would be joining a bright, developing team within a socially responsible, award winning, progressive multi-disciplinary practice. We are keen to offer a leadership role to continue to deliver excellent projects. We have fun working on truly interesting projects, and don’t take ourselves too seriously - come and get involved!!
What's the role?
Expansion of our thriving team has created an opportunity for an Associate Principal to lead our US team. This role would be ideal if you are an acoustic engineering leader with business development mindset, work-winning track record and deep technical knowledge of building acoustics and noise control engineering and are primarily interested in leading and producing technically excellent project work. Your focus would remain on three main things: business development, team and project leadership and technical mentoring.
Naturally, as an Associate Principal your responsibilities will be varied and wide-reaching, however they can typically be expected to comprise...
- Acting as a Design Leader on global and local acoustic projects.
- Partnering closely with the offices to support discipline development, work-winning, work-sharing and internal mobility, et al.
- Leading acoustic discipline projects on behalf of the group, taking ownership for sustained and productive client relationships
- Winning work and Business Development – actively identifying opportunities, maintain key client relationships and converting leads to projects
- Developing and maintaining key client relationships under all circumstances, maximizing opportunities for repeat business
- Mentoring Acoustic Engineering staff, particularly Senior Engineers and Associates
- Working with the Regional Discipline Leader to ensure that the latest learning and development initiatives are implemented within the team.
- Participate in and ensure delivery of the process of high-level project technical/quality reviews of specifications, reports and drawings produced by the team.
- Project Work:
- Consideration of a client or end users needs through thorough engagement on a project basis and working back from this point to produce acoustic design work
- Deeply considering the impact of carbon and sustainability in design choices and assisting the client and design team in developing design solutions which promote sustainable outcomes
- All design aspects of building acoustics, i.e. sound insulation, façade design, external plant noise break out, internal room acoustics and internal building services noise
- Proficiency or knowledge of 3D computer noise modelling for both internal noise (the global team use Odeon and CATT) and external noise (the global team use CadnaA)
- High attention to detail in terms of quality and checking of calculations, drawings, deliverables and reports
- Excellent inter and intra team communication – both with collaborators and clients and supporting team members
- Inform and support building design aspirations, functionality and architectural form throughout the design process.
- Responsible for the financial performance of projects.
- Manage and support others in the team in their development of acoustic calculations, surveying and technical report writing.
- Ensuring that the discipline and its projects are financially successful.
- Some travel may be required
What do I bring?
As a technical expert in the field of building acoustics engineering, we would expect you to have significant demonstrable experience across a variety of building sectors. Knowledge and expertise in our growth sectors is a requirement, as is experience in PAVA design.
As an experienced Acoustic Engineer at leadership level, we'd expect you to demonstrate the following...
- An extensive track-record of delivering innovative and creative Acoustic Engineering solutions within a consultancy environment.
- You'll demonstrate a holistic view on Acoustic design and an interdisciplinary design approach
- A strong network with relevant external clients (Developers, Architects, etc.) and collaborators/supply-chain (contractors, manufacturers etc.) in the US market.
- Proven evidence of business development success.
- Degree educated in a relevant discipline and ideally Professionally registered with a relevant institution
We’ll help you meet your goals, respecting your ideas and fostering your creativity, collaboration and innovation.
What we offer:
- Salary range of $140,000 to $240,000. This will be determined based on factors such as geographic location, skills, education, and/or experience
- Generous benefits package
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Generous PTO (4-5 weeks depending on position) in addition to 10 paid holidays
- 401k with company match
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Hybrid working & summer hours
- Reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees
- Global network of experts
- Learning and development opportunities
- Be a part of our Young Employees Forum and our Diversity and Inclusion Forum
Described by our clients as 'passionate', 'innovative', 'collaborative': Buro Happold is an independent, international engineering practice that for over 40 years has become synonymous with the delivery of creative, value led building and city solutions for an ever changing world. Having worked on every continent, our clients include more than 90% of the world's leading architectural practices and we have collaborated with global organisations such as the United Nations, The World Bank and UNESCO. Through our global community of driven, world leading engineering and consulting professionals we deliver elegant solutions for buildings and cities that seek to address the major problems facing societies today. Follow us @burohappold and find out more at www.burohappold.com.
Buro Happold value flexible working as an important part of the way we work. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers. #LI-JL1 #Hybrid
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions through collaboration.